Woman arrested for holding up ‘abolish the monarchy’ sign during Queen’s motorcade


A woman was arrested in Edinburgh yesterday, after she held up an anti-monarchy placard in front of the Queen’s motorcade (a term used to refer to the route of the Queen’s coffin motorcade).

While much of the nation is in mourning after the death of Her Majesty at the age of 96, some are using the public events that followed as a chance – rightly or wrongly – to express their point of view. view on wanting to abolish the monarchy and make the United Kingdom a republic. (a country in which the majority of power is held by the people and those they have elected).

The incident happened moments before the membership proclamation ceremony at Mercat Cross, where thousands of well-wishers lined the streets to watch the Queen’s coffin arrive in Scotland’s capital.

Karwai Tang

While paying tribute to the late monarch, the 22-year-old protester appeared in the crowd outside St. Gilles Cathedral, where she held a cardboard sign with the words “f*** imperialism, abolish the monarchy”.

Police officers came from behind and arrested her, which reportedly caused the crowd to cheer. One man reportedly shouted, “Let her go, it’s freedom of speech,” while others reportedly shouted, “Have some respect.”

A police spokesperson commented on the skirmish, saying the woman had been arrested “in connection with a breach of the peace”.

As the Lord Lyon King of Arms gave a speech to mark Charles’s royal proclamation, the crowd was again apparently disturbed by rowdies, who booed during the anthem “God Save the King”.

Mourners called the hecklers “disrespectful”, saying they should have avoided the proclamation if they believed in a republic.

One participant, Helen Smith, 48, of Livingston, said [via the Metro] “I believe everyone has the right to protest, but I thought it was in the wrong place at the wrong time. (It was) incredibly disrespectful to the event we were attending.

edinburgh, scotland on september 12 the funeral procession of queen elizabeth ii heads along the royal mile towards st giles cathedral on september 12, 2022 in edinburgh, king charles iii of scotland joins the procession accompanying his majesty the coffin from the queen of the palace of holyroodhouse along the royal mile at st giles cathedral the king and queen consort, accompanied by other members of the royal family also attend a service of prayer and reflection for the life of the queen where she rests in rest for 24 hours before being flown to london photo by chris jacksongetty images

chris jackson

Another member of the crowd says it dampened the spirit of the event and had an impact on the rest of those gathered. Smith, an engineer, added: “We saw the police watching things behind us, and we thought something was going to go off, and it happened.

“It’s a great moment in history. We had the death of the longest-serving monarch we’ve ever had, we proclaimed the new king, and then we have the ruckus in the back and the shouting.

Deputy Chief Constable of Police Scotland Malcolm Graham said: “The loss of Her Majesty The Queen is deeply felt and the police have an important role to play in the coming days to ensure the ceremonies are carried out safely. and with dignity.”

The Queen’s coffin is being moved from the Palace of Holyroodhouse to St. Giles Cathedral today, which will be open to the public so they can pay their last respects for a 24-hour period.

Our thoughts are with the Royal Family and those mourning his death at this sad time.

Source link


Comments are closed.