Man Utd reportedly tried to sign Espanyol striker Raul de Tomas on deadline day but their approach was rebuffed by the Spanish side.
This summer transfer window has really been a rollercoaster for the Red Devils.
Admittedly, it ended on a high as their main target Antony signed for them from Ajax for a fee of up to £84.8m.
Big weekend: Man Utd v Arsenal, Chelsea, Erling Haaland, Frank Lampard
Man Utd have also secured a new goalkeeper as Martin Dubravka has joined Newcastle United on loan.
Earlier in the window, Casemiro, Lisandro Martinez, Christian Eriksen and Tyrell Malacia were added to Erik ten Hag’s squad.
This all sounds good, but it doesn’t tell the whole story. The club wasted a lot of time targeting Frenkie de Jong who eventually decided to stay at FC Barcelona.
Meanwhile, Cristiano Ronaldo has decided to act like a child as he seeks a move away from Man Utd.
So it’s quite funny that Ronaldo was forced to stay because there were very few proposals on the table.
If Ronaldo had left, Man Utd’s need for a new striker would have increased and according to Football Insider, they had their eyes on De Tomas on deadline day.
Dwight Yorke doesn’t think United necessarily need a new striker as Marcus Rashford is capable of ‘over 20 goals a season’:
“I really believe United have one of the best youngsters in the Premier League in Rashford. Obviously he wasn’t able to live up to expectations last season,” Yorke said last month.
“But give him an arm around his shoulder and hopefully you’ll see him return to shooting under the new regime and you’ll have an incredible player who will score you close to 20 goals a season.
“He’s pretty much the only player that connects the club from the academy to the first XI. Manchester is in his blood and they have to bring that fire back into his belly.
De Tomas is a proven goalscorer as he netted 17 La Liga goals in the 2021/22 campaign. He has also featured four times for Spain since the end of 2021.
Football Insider reports that Man Utd have made a ‘final offer’ to bring De Tomas to Old Trafford.
They ‘failed’ with this ‘late approach’ even though the 27-year-old is ‘ready to leave’ Espanyol.
The player reportedly had ‘disagreements’ with new Espanyol manager Diego Martinez. He hasn’t featured in any of their first three La Liga games of the 2022/23 season.
De Tomas ‘was eager’ to sign for Man Utd but it is said that an ‘agreement could not be reached’ by the 11pm deadline on Thursday night.
The structure of the deal is not mentioned, which is hardly surprising given that Football Insider is not known for its reliability.
The article Man Utd ‘failed’ ‘last chance bid’ to sign 17-goal striker on deadline day – player ‘open’ to move appeared first on Football365.com.